Monday, March 26, 2012

my literal thinker...



...to others it can come across as rude (and I myself have slipped and reacted with frustration many a time) and defiant, but he really is just answering the question the most truthful way he knows how to. You ask him. He answers. Simple as that.

...we had a day recently that was not going so "swell", and I exhaustedly stated , "you need to give me at least one ounce of respect". His response: "you can't measure respect in ounces". My initial emotional response was of extreme frustration, but a split second before I responded, a light bulb went off. He's right. You can't measure respect in ounces, and he was simply giving me the correct answer. I know this about him, and have so for years now...it's just sometimes you forget, and go about your old routine of expecting things of him the same you would expect of his sibling. It's not that he will never get idioms, in fact he understands quite a lot of them.
He just needs simple explanations, or mini "teaching lessons" as I call them, so that he knows how to handle them when they happen from someone else in the future. Being such a visual learner, I think the mental image that he receives after hearing a message takes over the ability to step back and interpret the meaning behind that particular moment.

... you'd think after this light bulb of mine went off, I would have thought first before I asked him to toss his dirty dish into the sink. Of course not....and he tossed that dish perfectly.

5 comments:

Zakka Life said...

I can totally relate to this post. My son too is a literal thinker. If I tell him it's 8:00 when it's really 7:58 he will promptly let me know that it is not 8:00. I have to always be careful what I say to him.

BTW, love your artwork.

mummysam said...

ahh yes...ever minute counts, doesn't it? I am constantly corrected when I round my time :)
thank you so much for your compliment!

Chickachick said...

fantastic post. thanks for the insight.

mummysam said...

thank you so much chickachick :)

outbound malang said...

may god always give the best to you .. :)