Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I'm back!!!



...I am officially back! With both boys now in school full-day, I am beyond thrilled to begin working again. The jam-packed summer is behind us, and here begins a new adventure of writing about recent discoveries and a lot of creative sharing.

..Being that we are into the second day of school, let's start with the daily practice of preparing school lunches. With one child on the spectrum (and eating a restrictive gluten/dairy/casein/and soy free diet...more on that later) and the other able to eat pretty much anything put in front of him, I have the "fun" task of trying to come up with lunchboxes that come home empty. Since the one child is more difficult to work with(and very very picky....food has to be very simple), I find it easier for my own sanity to prepare the same lunches for both, with just a couple of tweaks here and there. This was our lunch for today:

1. toothpicks: the idea of eating small bits of food with toothpicks will instantly turn something once deemed "unacceptable" into the most exciting food in the world. I plan on using these twice a week at the most, to ensure that they remain exciting for the rest of the year

2. apple: chopped up into cubes to allow for more toothpick fun.

3. avocado: cut in half and served with a spoon. My eldest son won't touch avocado, as the "mushy" texture of the fruit bothers him too much. I replaced the avocado with some baby carrots.

4. sugar snap peas

5. chopped up hot dogs (I use Amy's organic grass-fed hot dogs that have no nitrates, and are gluten and casein free). The hot dogs are an option that allow for my eldest son to feel like he is eating something the other kids around him would enjoy as well.

6. corn on the cob. (I cut one corn on the cob in half, and boiled for three minutes while the boys were eating breakfast. A quick and easy food to cook the morning of school)

morning snack: zucchini bread with chopped up fruit


If any of you have been following me for a while, you will know that I usually start these projects with a lot of gusto and energy....we shall see how long this burst lasts before I loose steam and start dumping handfuls of cereal and stale crackers into their lunches.

6 comments:

holly aka golly said...

you have been missed! so glad your back. Love your creative food ideas for your kids. I'm sure they love it! I can't wait to hear more about the diet.

mummysam said...

thank you!!! it feels good to be back...and I just caught up on everything you have been doing. so so beautiful...

flannery o'kafka said...

ha! At least you start with good intentions. The toothpick trick is well appreciated. I'll try it!

mummysam said...

flannery...yes the toothpicks are a hit. Especially after this lunch :)
(see new post)

Elma said...

Glad you back!!!Love the toothpick idea:) School lunches uggggg such a pain to keep the interesting.

susanne said...

Hello hello hello! So pleased to see you back! x