Monday, February 28, 2011

yes, I am here...


asperger's...

yes, I am here.... but I had to get away.

Not only did I have two very active boys home for a week of winter break, but also a mum (me) who needed time to re-focus and understand the direction her work was starting to take. There has always been a back and forth motion when it comes to my work, with various mediums taking their own moments to have center stage. From painting to ceramics, and woodworking to sewing, transitions from one medium to another still take place since I started working over 15 years ago.

And now I find such a transition taking place again, although this time the change is not about materials, but rather the subject matter itself. It is a subject that I keep returning to, because the therapy that comes about from addressing such a topic has been so crucial in my ability to mother the best way I can. It is a subject that I live with everyday, and one that has often brought about more heartache and stress than I ever thought possible. Yes, it can be a very sensitive topic, and of course I get quite nervous about the response from putting those feelings out there...but it is something that I have to do.

yes, I had to get away. But now I am back and ready to embrace this new transition that has clearly been taking place for a quite some time...and oh how relieved I feel to have finally figured out where I needed to go...

11 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

glad that you are finding clarity- it always helps with the sleepless or fretful nights.

blue china studio said...

What a beautiful post. I have a friend with a son with Aspergers and I've seen the parenting challenges that go along with it. I'm glad that you have a forum and way to address the topic and be able to voice your feelings. I'm sure it is key to staying grounded.

I'm so glad you could figure out where you needed to go.

jaci

Melissa Crowe said...

For me, your work combines such amazing traits, reflecting the artist who has 1) a brilliant, clever, funny mind, 2) a kind, loving, brave heart, and 3) a capable, beautiful, masterful, and honest hand. For this reason, I am always looking forward to what you make. Can't wait to see.

tangled sky studio said...

hi brave friend...we are all finding our way and i'm so glad to a witness to your journey : ) i love the new work and all of the emotional depth it carries.

-b

mummysam said...

thank you so much everyone for your support! Am I nervous still about exposing some of the raw feeling that happen sometimes? yes....as the fear of judgement can weigh heavily on me, and prevent me acting on some of my ideas.
I will just have to sprinkle some of my "humour" every now and then! Marge and Henry are sure to provide a little comic relief now and then:)

again...thank you all!

holly aka golly said...

You are a very brave and strong woman and no doubt an amazing mother. I appreciate your honesty and the spirit in which you share your life and work.

Holly

Bolete's Blog said...

Your writing is beautiful. My sister-n-law gave your book on felt creations to me for Christmas and I love it. I have made a couple of felt people. :) Thank you for sharing.

The Exton Gardener said...

How very courageous you are! I'm sure you're going to follow the right course for you - and for your son too! Maybe you'll be giving him a voice too, as well as finding a new way for yourself. What is creativity after all, if it's not coming from the heart and soul? We're all here to give you love and support!

mummysam said...

thank you again so so much everyone....you are so lovely to open up your hearts to me!
(and as a side note to Holly...oh my goodness....your fabric pieces are absolutely amazing)

Cindy said...

Looking forward to more work reflecting your shift. As a teacher, have worked with a couple of kids with Aspergers. I think anything we can do that causes us to stop and really see individuals for who they are and what they need will make us all better parents, teachers, humans. Thank you for sharing your insights.

jean said...

I love the picture you posted here. Is it something I could use? we are learning about 2e or twice exceptional (gifted kiddos with learning disabilities) for my granddaughter and this picture is priceless in describing this. Can't believe I came to your blog to find felties and found a kindred soul in LD. granddaughter is doing a flat stanley project at school and an email with felties in in looked similar. I just can't pass up a crafty project and look what happens. let me know about the picture and I'll go read about your felties.