Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The artful bird stops here...



:: welcome to the next stop in Abigail Glassenberg's blog tour as she promotes her lovely new book, the artful bird. I was thrilled to be asked to take part, and today is my turn to share with you what makes this book so utterly delightful.

:: I first met Abby through her blog, and when both of us realized our lives were somewhat parallel (we were both writing our books at the same time), a lovely phone connection was made and a great conversation ensued. I felt such amazing support from her as I opened up about my journey as a new writer, and knew seconds into the chat that she was in the process of making something wonderful. The ideas she conveyed sounded just so good, and when her book arrived at my door, I couldn't wait to dive in and see how those thoughts had materialized.



:: It is perfect. The artful bird is one of those books that instantly gets promoted to one of those few sources you find crucial to have in your reference library. Aside from all of the lovely projects (and there are many of them!), I have to say my favourite part lies in the techniques section at the front of the book. It's brilliant,and has opened my eyes to a completely new way of construction. The initial draw to find out how she makes those amazing legs (the first thing I hurried to find when opening the book), was soon taken over by the many pulls to learn everything else I could learn about making birds.

:: Abby, if you find yourself in this neck of the woods today, I hope you truly hear how beautiful this book is. The amount of time you must have spent breaking down the parts of constructing each bird is nothing short of amazing, and the overall collection contains something for everyone. It's perfect for those new to bird construction, and equally satisfying for those more comfortable with soft sculpture. The beautifully written introductions to each project draw you in, and make you eager to finish every single project in the book...

:: Thanks again Abby for asking me to be a part of this tour, and thanks to all of her fans who have come to pay a visit. Now, stop reading this post and go buy yourself a copy!

9 comments:

Lee said...

Thanks for the review. I really am drawn to this book!

Ammie said...

Gorgeous book!

mummysam said...

thank you both for your comments! and yes...it is indeed a lovely book

SewLindaAnn said...

I've got the book on my wish list, the more I read about it on this tour the more I love it.

Linda said...

I am glad Abby had a stop at your site. I saw your book and ordered it.

gill said...

This looks a fab book!
It's on my wishlist!!

Raggy Rat said...

you do make me yearn even more for this book ... hubby always asks when my birthday looms, and so i have a very good idea for a gift already xxx

ide-puffen said...

I just love your blog. Creative og beautiful.
Randi:)

mummysam said...

thank you for all the lovely comments!