Thursday, January 20, 2011

new interest


mixed media: embroidery on linen, oils, and graphite

...I was readying myself for another day of work, when I stumbled upon a quirky little drawing my eldest had done at 3. It was this simple, yet lovely, image of a dinosaur that he has scribbled quickly in my sketchbook when I wasn't looking. He was obsessed with them, and for the better part of three years spent the majority of his time talking your ear off about them.

...then it stopped. like that. Three years of a complete obsession suddenly vanished. He decided in a moment's notice that dinosaurs were no longer of interest, and from that day on showed no desire to dive into the piles of dinosaur paraphernalia that laid scattered about every nook of the house. This soon became his standard approach to all interests, and to this day goes all or nothing when it comes to an interest at hand. There was world cup soccer (he could tell you every score of each game, along with the proper pronunciation of every key player. I, on the other hand, could just tell you the name of the incredibly attractive player who kept my interest in world cup at an all-time high). Then came the Tour de France ( my approach to world cup applied here as well), and several interests later, we currently find ourselves knee high into football.




... As I "excitedly" read to him the scores of every football game score since 1968 (his preferred bedtime story at the moment), I am reminded of those many nights spent pouring over every dinosaur book we had. The dinosaur names I once knew so well have become quite faded as I sit here learning the new facts being read out loud. I then look over and see his drawings on the bedside table...pages full of made up football games.

...The drawings are more complex and detailed than those simple line drawings he had done a few years back, and full of "really cool action". As I look through each amazing page, I cannot stop but think about that little dinosaur drawing I had stumbled upon earlier that day.
I had no idea back then what those drawings would eventually tell us about our child, and it makes them even that much more emotional when I look at them today.

...He gets so passionate about things, and the enthusiasm he has can be quite incredible... I am just not so sure I am cut out for three years hearing about every score in the history of football. Now if he were to pick up cycling again, that would be a different story....

12 comments:

dls said...

What a wonderful illustration and story! Thanks for sharing.

momto2wasd said...

Maybe you'll come across a few cute football players??
My oldest son has does this with a few obsessions, and I was rather sad to leave behind the animal obsession that he had. It was odd to me that I felt sad when he clearly didn't. When a new topic came along, I missed the old one--especially the first one which was the animals.

mummysam said...

thanks dls....
and momto2wasd...I'm afraid I just can't get into football. Tried, but no interest...no matter how cute :)
and yes..there have definitely been certain interests that I found quite fun myself (and there are always those that you have to muster up some interest, knowing at some point he will move on...)

Carrie said...

Love the new work, there's something very special about children's drawings - a freedom that sadly seems to dimish with age. I always enjoy reading your blog.

The Exton Gardener said...

My youngest daughter drew constantly when she was young- but, alas, now she prefers reading! I'm not sure about cycling - have you ever seen the animation "Triplets of Belleville" ("Belleville rendezvous)? I can never look at cyclists the same, ever again!

mummysam said...

thanks so much Carrie!
and to the Exton Gardener...my husband is a cyclist, so that may play a big part :) (and yes..saw that movie...loved loved loved it, and still adore cycling!)

Supercutetilly said...

Wow what a beautiful bolog you have and some lovely stories, will be popping by again soon :-)

blissful chick said...

your son sounds much like my son. dinos, presidents, pokemon, on and on.... he's on the spectrum as well. life is never ever dull

cindy m said...

this is wonderful.
you've probably already heard of it, but just in case...I just read a fabulous middle reader, "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. It's about a girl with an autistic brother, written by the mom of an autistic child. lovely & touching & joyful.

Thea said...

LOVE this one too. Great work. Trick is to call me when you are getting ready to sit down to work...

mummysam said...

thanks again everyone!
blissful cheek...ah, yes. we are in company!
cindy...thanks..I shall have to go look up that book now :)
and Thea...I just texted you :)

Jo said...

This is gorgeous - thanks for sharing!