Saturday, January 15, 2011

impulsive project number three....



..it was only a matter of time before that impulsive nature would get the best of me, and this time the victim happened to be none other than the dreadful ceiling fan. (and of course I didn't notice the immense amount of dust it had collected until posting this image...) Apparently five years of passing under this fan was enough, and far be it for me to actually go to the store and buy a replacement. When my impulsive urges hit, they hit hard...action must be taken immediately, and I am left trying to find a solution with what's on hand.



..The old blades were removed, and thrown immediately into the trash



...a lamp I had sitting around was taken apart,(which still had it's label on...I have a weird thing about forgetting to take tags off) saving the harp, finial, and shade for use in this project



I stretched the harp over the main body of the ceiling fan, and secured with a heavy-duty rubber band (a.k.a. the asparagus band I managed to take out of the hands of a cheeky little boy who looked suspicious in how he planned to use it. ) You could easily use wire, but that meant going down the stairs to find it. Too much fuss...

The finial and shade were assembled to check that everything looked level, and then removed until the base for the shade was made.



...Although the lamp was already looking much better than it's brass adorned predecessor, the ugly bulbs were in plain sight and something was needed to cover them up. An embroidery hoop I had in the studio was stretched with my portraits fabric, and then stiffened using a product called "Stiffy". A hole was slit in the center, and the finished hoop placed on top of the harp. The lamp shade and finial were placed back on the fixture and tightened.



...And there you have it! A lamp that really makes me happy as I walk by, and a project that came out better with the limitations I had set on myself. Impulsive behaviour may actually be a good thing, right?



..at least this little monkey thinks so (seen here trying to reach himself high enough to retrieve that rubber band)

10 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

It looks perfect! You're a stinkin' genius!

extongardener said...

Oh, if all impulses could be as successful! Where can I get one?
;)

mummysam said...

thank you Melissa!(again...you make me blush ever so...)
and extongardener..if only I posted all of the "failures". You just see the occasional surprise success :)

blissful chick said...

brilliant!!!! you are my hero

Katie said...

Cleverness abounds here. Looks great!

katy said...

love it!! (from someone who is likewise of an impulsive nature)

thea said...

i wish my impulsions turned out as well as yours...

;)
thea.
xx

(spoonful)

blue china studio said...

You are a home improvement McGyver! Pure genius. Truly. It turned out great.

mummysam said...

thanks again so so much everyone! you guys are too kind :) the only problem about this impulsive project is the fact that I now want to re-paint the room (and change the curtains, etc...)

Christine E-E said...

what a fabulously resourceful idea! what an amazing decorating mummy you are!