Wednesday, December 8, 2010

how to make your kids festive....(and the winner is...)



How on earth do you tackle the dreaded holiday picture when one child refuses to remove pajamas, and the other insists on wearing his favourite skull shirt? Well, first you don't do what I did and try to force one very reluctant participant to climb on board. ( "please? can you just put on this cool striped shirt for 5 minutes? I will let you have extra dessert? an extra sticker for your chart? c'mon, something?")

After an emotionally exhausting few minutes, I took a deep breath and looked at the stress I was creating. Why would I adorn them in clothes they would never wear in the first place? Unless pants come in soft flannel or have "sports pants" written all over them, the one child is not happy. That's who he is, day in and day out.

Instead, I came up with a plan to not only show you who they really are, but also allow myself to give those family members and friends something a bit more festive. Our holiday card became a project that both the kids and I enjoyed creating together, and as a result new excitement was generated when posing for the picture. With big A wanting to be a "cool" snowboarder, and the other one wanting to carry a log, we were able to work on something that, in the end, represented who they were and made them festive at the same time! whew....





...I may need to keep an extra card on hand for those days when I want to see something other than red or blue sports pants...a little eye breather is always good, no?


**** winner announcement! using the random.org site, the winner of the lovely Spoonful zine is
bananenblatt! Please e-mail me your address, and this perfect little companion will be on it's way....thanks so much to everyone who entered! ****

13 comments:

Marisa and Creative Thursday said...

omg. laughing out loud over here. I love this! and love that you all worked on it together.

mummysam said...

thanks Marisa...glad I could give you a good chuckle :)

Jenny Stevning said...

So genius! Very creative problem solving!

BaileyGirl5 said...

Coolest.idea.ever! I just laughed out load at my desk and got some funny looks :) Hmmmm.... could I pretend my spreadsheet was amusing??

Katie said...

This is such a fun idea! Would be great for a birthday card or invite too!

leah said...

another perfect holiday card! sam, you are incredible and never cease to amaze.

tangled sky studio said...

"outside the box parenting"...bravo ;-)

mummysam said...

thanks again to all of you lovelies out there! I just updated this post with a photo of the "finished" doll (although I musn't say "doll" in front of the boys....) It feels so good to see them wearing something else for a change :)

Patrice A. said...

Great!!!!
Love it.

momto2wasd said...

I'm glad it all worked out for you! We have a professionally done photo of my oldest in his pj pants--he made it through the family reunion photo, but needed those pants for the small family shot. We figured, "why not show the real kid?" And I love that picture most!

bananenblatt said...

wow, can´t believe i won the spoonfull giveaway:D super-happy!
Thank you!
And that idea of you is GENIAL!

kjansma said...

Mine are also five and seven, but of the girl variety. Last year I found myself screaming at them to quit goofing around and hugging and giggling because I couldn't see their faces. Then I realized that I was desperately trying to get a picture of them giving the illusion of being happy rather than actually being happy. I know now I have to either let it go or get much better at photoshop.

mummysam said...

kjansma.....you know, my favourite pictures are those candid moments that remind you of what they were about at that particular time. One of my favourite photos is my eldest son's school picture when he was in pre-school. He hated having his picture taking, and the one we ended up getting was of this delicate face with tears pouring down his cheeks and red eyes. They insisted on a retake, and to their confusion,told them this was perfect. It's what he was going through at that time, and whenever I look back at it, my heart strings get tugged and filled with emotion. It's a memory that's real and his...
(then there's the photo in the hall of him with googly eye stickers all over his face....)