Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where my distraction led me....



... How did I manage to pass by this table, eat at this table, vacuum under this table, fight at this table, laugh at this table, and draw at this table for four years and not notice?

..Four years of daily use, and only yesterday did I notice it. It was too dark. And according to my impulsive nature (yes. I still have yet to get behind that radiator to finish painting the living room), I had decided in a blink of an eye that it must go. I also knew that if my husband came home to yet another partially done "masterpiece", my days of tackling any future necessary transformations may be a thing of the past. I had five hours before he would come home......



..after priming the table a few times with a shellac-based primer (this was the scary part....no turning back....), I applied several more coats of Martha Stewart's pure white paint in semi-gloss.

..The chairs were replaced with old Ikea ones we had collecting dust in the basement, and given a new look with some of my mummysam fabric. (We hadn't used these chairs since our oldest was two, and wow. Taking off the old cushion was a similar experience one gets when taking a car seat out of the car. The grotesque amount of powdered cheerios, crackers, and dried up mushed bananas was quite overwhelming. I forgot how much mess those little fingers and mouths can make!)



...my favourite wedgewood pottery was brought out of the cupboard (mind you, only for this little presentation...these will be replaced with piles of homework, stickers, and older kid food mess...just let me indulge for a bit.)



...the rug was switched with my studio rug from IKEA, and two of the chairs were recovered a second time when two boys came home and "requested" the foxes instead. I finished the project just in time, and really like how it turned out. We are a family that use this table more for colouring and homework than entertaining, and needed a room that better fit that purpose.
And what do you know? I actually finished it this time. (except if you count the yellow dresser in the background...a previous project that got every side painted except the left one. With one push of the dresser closer to the wall, no one has noticed yet....)

...any projects in the works for you?

13 comments:

Jill said...

It looks so lovely in white! I think you made a wise decision. Congrats on finishing the project so promptly!

Melissa Crowe said...

Oh, it's WONDERFUL! You did just the right thing--a whole new room, and who can helped but be cheered by such a transformation? Perfect, my friend!

Katie said...

Love the transformation! Definitely brightens up the room!

Carrie said...

I can't believe the difference a coat of paint makes, it's brilliant!

Jenny Stevning said...

WOW! What a splendid transformation!

blissful chick said...

ok, i mean this: you are my freakin' hero!!! it's gorgeous. and now i must paint something!

mummysam said...

thanks everyone for all the compliments! This was definitely one of those moments of needing to do something, but having to work with what we've got....and the brightness does feel so much better.
(we shall see how long the fabric cushions last...let's hope we are at least past that stage with the kids now :) )

Jennifer said...

What a dramatic improvement! Amazing what a few simple changes can do to a space. It's now a room I'd want to spend a lot of time in.

Leila said...

It looks great! We just finished painting our bedroom and are so happy with how much cleaner the whole room looks now (literally cleaner -- the old walls had not been painted for a VERY long time). I'm sure you feel the same about your table (and wonderful chairs)!

jacqueline said...

It's truely wonderful!!I love that you use your gorgeous fabrics on those chair cushions!! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Amber said...

Love it! And I tackle projects just like you. Immediately and by only doing what is necessary to get the job "done". I love that room. We have a large breakfront I want to paint, been putting it off because I can't decide on a color. Yellow or turquoise or purple or red.

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

It looks fantastic. And I love the special request fox chairs. Can I come for dinner?
xoxo

dls said...

Love the transformation..... well done!