Tuesday, November 23, 2010

it just took an old key ring, a paper clip, and some wire...



:: i'm back at it again, and this time it's with that annoying hall light. I cannot pass this thing without expecting breast milk to start dripping from it's engorged shape, and like most of the other lactating ceiling lights in the house, it has become a source of annoyance every time I look at it. Similar to the sudden decision to re-do the dining room table, this light also became the victim of my impulsive way of thinking.


...using my "work with what you've got" philosophy, I was determined to figure out a way to change this lamp in a hurry before the little one needed picking up from school. The outside frame was taken off, and the dusty remains became the backbone for the new frame. (and yes. it did get dusted...just with a sock that I had in arms reach because I was too "lazy" to actually step down from the ladder and find an appropriate cloth)


... the IKEA lamp was given a good clean....(o.k. no it wasn't. I actually forgot until I installed the whole thing. I am impatient....but I swear I will get to it...)


..In order to make the lamp fit around the existing light fixture, I needed to take off the top support and clip a notch through one side. (think pac-man). The light was placed around the frame, using an old key ring, paper clip, and found piece of wire, and I thought it was done. Stepping back to take pride in my work, I soon realized the old light fixture had never been rid of it's "aged bronze" glory. So, the light was taken back down and the old fixture was given a good spray coating in high-gloss white.


...After a mad dash to the hardware store to see what now "had to be done" to finish the room, I managed to squeeze in just enough time to number all of the stairs (..and of course leave the 13th step blank...)


..ta da! Hastiness can indeed lead to perfection, no?

..Even if it does mean using an old key ring, paper clip, and scrap piece of wire

13 comments:

Jill said...

That is lovely! I have been wanting numbered stairs at our house, but that would involve cleaning the basement stairs. Yours are so cute!

vivienne strauss said...

Beautiful & bright :)

mummysam said...

thank you both!

(only problem is that my 7 year old now refuses to step anywhere near number 13....hmmmm)

Jennifer said...

You MacGuyvered the room--nice job!

helicopter6 said...

Love that you used a sock to clean it... I've used many MANY a sock to dust surfaces! The light looks fabulous, and I agree, it did originally look like it was going to express milk - when i saw the small picture in the blog feed I thought it was some awful kind of upper chest flesh wound! And the stairs are rediculously sensational. Maybe I could number every stair to our 3rd floor apartment (I think that would perplex our poor neighbours!)

bananenblatt said...

looks good!

scissor variations said...

This looks gorgeous. I now feel inspired to get going on a few things around here.

Patrice A. said...

Mmmm, nice!

mummysam said...

thanks again!! I got the idea of the stairs from Ella of Little Red Caboose.....and yes. socks are the perfect duster :)

thea said...

ooh la la - just love it! You so inspire me:) xoxo

blue china studio said...

Oh my gosh, this post got me giggling. Your old light fixture is the style I have not so fondly nicknamed a nipple light. The IKEA one looks great! And the numbers on the stairs adorable. I just love to hear about your decorating antics, it makes me feel much better about my remodeling methods that also often involve things like a paper clip, glue and a few mild curses.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
Jacilyn

tangled sky studio said...

perfection. sometimes a wee bit of time is just what you need to kick it into high gear and get the job done. i have an entry light about to undergo a similar intervention : )

Cary Walker said...

looks great sam:)