Friday, November 19, 2010

DIY: holiday door ornament



..I thought it might be fun to do a little ornament tutorial today, even though I am notorious for waiting until a couple of days before Christmas to start anything holiday related at all. Maybe this will give me that little push to get started, and hopefully eradicate my annual tendency to express mail everything at the last minute (maybe.....)



step one:: grab your favourite doors fabric (ahem...)





step two:: cut around your door shape, leaving as much white space as you can around the door.



step three:: Place your door on a slightly larger piece of fabric, right sides together, making sure to extend the back piece beyond the bottom edge of the door.

step four:: Sew the fabric together, making sure to leave the bottom section open. Trim any extra fabric from sides and top, and clip the curved seams.



step five:: Turn the door ornament right side out, and fold the bottom cotton edges into the body. You may want to thread a loop of floss through the top if you intend to hang this project. (or perhaps forgo this step to create free-standing doors for your fireplace mantle!)



step six:: stuff. (the corners are pretty hard to reach, unless you have the delicate hands of this dear lady. The back of your kid's paint brush will work perfectly to pull out those tricky little corners...)


step seven:: Stand the door on top of a scrap of felt for the base, and trace around the edge.
Cut out the felt, and attach it with a blanket stitch in a floss colour of your choosing.

step eight :: hang your lovely ornament, sit back, and enjoy a glass of wine.



:: this could also work well with the buses, no?

18 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

this is so cute- I love your photos for the step by step-

Too cute- I'm forwarding this to my mom- she'll love it too!

Have a great weekend!

Georgina said...

Love it, love it, love it...thanks and going to make a door ornie soon. I especially like the idea of rewarding yourself with a nice glass of wine!! Now that makes it all worth it! LOL

Thanks again for your tutorial...fun stuff!!

Georgina

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

PS: I just linked this post to my FB because it is SO cute-

(and the more I think about it I just like that it is non-denominational- I didn't realize that until right now :))

mummysam said...

thanks "ladies"....(and the wine may be the best part!)

Abbyglassenberg said...

This is the cleverest tutorial! Yeah!

Shari said...

I heard about this via Lady of the Arts. I just have to try it as well. Your pictures of each step are so creative as well.

Patrice A. said...

Like the drawings!!!!

Leila said...

EEEEEE!!! I stinkin love those little cutouts! Best. Tutorial. Ever.

I wanted to try this with the buses. Back to that wanting too much of your fabric thing. . .

mummysam said...

thanks again! Yes...I think the bus pattern might work really well for this tutorial. thank.you.leila.

The drawings were definitely a fun "distraction" this morning, and I am so glad they were received so well!

and Abby...thanks for your sweet words :) I cannot wait to get my hands on your book!

Katie said...

Love how you photographed your tutorial! So creative and fun. Thanks for sharing :).

tangled sky studio said...

mummysam magic : )

cheers!

monica lee said...

Ok so I see everyone is using the word CUTE so I will say absolutely ADORABLE. Your styling of the photos rocks!
PS ordering your book today! woo-hoo!

mummysam said...

thanks yet again! I am definitely noticing this need of mine to incorporate drawing into everything I do...I am glad you like it :)

Little Green Doll said...

Great tutorial!! I love it! :)

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

Most adorable tutorial ever.

Stitch Rabbit said...

Where oh where oh WHERE can I find your fabric in Vancouver Canada?!
I adore it!

Zemphira ~ Scatter Art. said...

Ingenious tutorial - so very clever.

thea said...

uh!!!! Your fabric is just to die for lovely Sam.
Honestly, so inspiring!!!

thea.
xx

(spoonful)