Thursday, October 7, 2010

they weren't as itchy this time....



...remember those itchy tights? Well, a few washes later and the "itch" factor seems to have died down quite a bit. (thank goodness for that!) I am a bit hooked on these tights, and thought it would be fitting for an upcoming magazine article about myself and my workspace. With a quick call to my lovely friend Thea, an afternoon was spent with some good coffee, great chit chatting, and really fun photography. We decided to put my sewing machine on my lap, as it truly plays the role of a pencil when it comes to my own approach to fiber art. I don't use a pencil when it comes to the stitched work, but rather use the machine solely as my drawing tool. What do you think?



...along with my "fashion" shot (can you tell how hard I am, yet again, trying to disguise the lack of any chin? There's really only so much one can do....), came the need for a basic studio shot as well. It may not be in full-view, but what it does showcase is the corner that I find most inspiring.....that one little spot that I find comforting, and in a perfect rainy day, can become the most comfortable space to be in. Thea captured it so well, and the collaborative process in itself was so inspiring. It's been a long time since I have gotten together with someone and brainstormed ideas back and forth, which was much needed. (even with a heavy sewing machine on my lap......)

22 comments:

BaileyGirl5 said...

Just beautiful .... you and your creative space. I can't wait to read the magazine article.

Melissa Crowe said...

Wonderful shots, and I think the machine-in-the-lap idea was great. Metaphor in photography--yay!

tangled sky studio said...

looks great lady! i love the flower ring and the tights and i think the studio shot shows just what it should...your favorite spot : )

mummysam said...

thank you all so much!! (oh, and I am so pleased you noticed the ring :) )

Leila said...

I love getting to see your studio. It's so cozy looking! I especially love the little guys lined up on the window. And I think you have a nice chin.

thea said...

Sam it was so much fun. I look forward to many more collaborations;)

I think we work well together.
xo

mummysam said...

Thanks for the chin love Leila,
and thanks for making the chin look so good Thea! (and yes....let's do another project soon soon soon!!!!)

helicopter6 said...

You've both done a fantastic job. The photos work really well, and the tights and shoes of course make it perfecto! love the little window sill lineup too.

Jenny said...

Beautiful shot! I love all the colors!

blissful chick said...

you are aborable! you actually inspired me to buy a dress today - tho i may wear it with jeans.... dare i try tights???

anyway, found your blog via rebekahleighmarshall and love it!

p.s. i frequently hided chocolate treats from my 2 sons. i don't like to share. they'll learn a valuable life skill in both the observational and speed categories

blissful chick said...

hide, not hided. or hid, as the case may be.

blue china studio said...

Wonderful photos! I can see why that one corner is a cozy spot, it looks it from the picture. And you, my dear, look so cute! Love your now-not-so-itchy tights.

Patrice A. said...

You got a very nice working space, so bright!
Like Leila, I do like your work lined up on the (beautiful!) window.

You have inspired me to look up the leftovers of my once so frequently used felt....

mummysam said...

thanks again everyone!!!
and blissful chick...I think I wear jeans with most dresses....I am just more "comfortable" that way :)

blissful chick said...

ok, not that you needed to know this... but the dress i bought? yeah. just realized it says "sleepwear" on the label. duh!

i just may be ok with that, however

Amber (Woodmouse) said...

You are beautiful! Love the outfit, the pose and the studio. Turned out great!

jacqueline said...

This is really beautiful and im loving your photos so much! Your studio is really inspiring and sooo gorgeous! I am really looking forward to decorate my little studio with your gorgeous creations from your book! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

theroses said...

I love your blog and have read it for many months without making a comment. Just so you know that there are probably more of us out there enjoying your blog space that are quiet ones.

I do have a question for you. My family is going to treat me to my very own sewing machine for my recent birthday. I'm 45 years old and never owned my own. It's time. Would you recommend yours? Can you comment on makes, models or tips for buying one?
I'd really appreciate that.

Jenny Rose

Mary Ellen Larter said...

I adore that sewing machine of yours!

mummysam said...

thanks yet again my dears!
and Jenny...I have an old Kenmore, which I bought refurbished at a fix-it shop. I simply use my machine to draw, and as a result didn't want a machine with many stitch options. I like the heaviness that comes with the older machines, and highly recommend going to a place that fixes up old machines! (hope that helps?)

theroses said...

Thank you for your input on the sewing machine. You have confirmed my thoughts as I was wary of the new fan-dangled computerized models. I've been coveting an old model at my local thrift shop for $65 (complete with old table that it sits in). They've tested it to be in working order. It's mine.
Jenny

extongardener said...

I have some old Bernina machines and, with regular maintenance, they're practically bullet-proof! You do need that weight, not for posing with, but to keep everything stable when you're in that frenzy of creativity ...