Monday, October 4, 2010

scratchy but worth it...



I am trying....really trying to get used to the idea that I no longer have to wear plain cotton shirts and the same pair of jeans everyday. After several years of just not caring due to the inevitable smear of wet crumbs from little fingers and little mouths tagging my shoulders with cookie drenched drool, it's time to break free. Starting from scratch isn't easy, and it's taking me a bit of courage to buy things that cost more than $15. So, one pair of shoes and some cool tights later, I am setting off on this new journey to become "me" again. The one problem about wearing clothes that are just shy of wearing jammies, is that your expectation of comfort is extremely high. Am I constantly shifting my jean skirt side to side because the waistline isn't familiar? yes.
Am I scratching my legs because the .00000009% of wool in them is making me itch something dreadful? oh yes yes yes... Am I thinking it would be just easier to go upstairs and put some comfy pants on? Yep.
I went upstairs this morning (after the scratching hit an all-time high) to look in the mirror, and found myself quite excited to see a woman no longer looking ready for kids to unleash their damage. (did you ever get as bad as I did? I can't tell you how many mornings I put on the same shirt the next day, noticed the milk stains on my one shoulder, and just scraped the stain off with my nails. why add more laundry?)
As a result, the comfy pants will go neatly back in their drawer, where they will remain until the kids go to sleep. (I never said I would dress this way all day...besides, how can you relax on a couch with itchy tights?)

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm just now getting to do this! At least you are doing it now when your kids are still rather young. I think it took me until I was 40 to dress like ME again! Today is my 48th birthday, and I still say,"humm, those pants and that t-shirt look so comfy," but I stop myself and put something stylish on, with fun jewelry even.
I know what you mean about that jean skirt shifting too ; )
Love your blog by the way!

mummysam said...

Hi Elizabeth! thank you :) and part of me is also wondering if it's the fact that as I near fourty, I should be stepping it up a bit... it's about time, right? but oh, the magnetic draw that comfy clothes can have on oneself!

tangled sky studio said...

i try and find a happy medium but definitely find that some days are better than others. A great coat is a must since from now until early spring it is the most used piece of my wardrobe. Add great shoes or boots and even comfy pants can look ok!

tangled sky studio said...

oh and i love the blue tights!

Amber (Woodmouse) said...

Great tights and shoes! As I sit here in a ragged teeshirt and yoga pants nursing my littlest one... Um, yeah. I found myself in a clothing store this weekend and I pet some of the pretty clothes. It all looked so fragile! Thrifted clothes is the only way to fashion for me these days. And I MUST be comfortable. We'll except for shoes. They can't ruin those though I have not much use for heels, sigh.

momto2wasd said...

This is one of those things that I keep thinking I should do...but fall into the jeans and t-shirt routine all the time. I now feel very strange wearing anything else. The problem, is, I don't like what I see when I wear the more stylish clothes either. Good for you for finding your style again, though!

Jenny Stevning said...

I love the tights and shoes! I was thrilled the day I could start wearing jewelry again. I didn't have to worry if it would get tug, yank, bitten or accidentally scratch my daughter. Even though she is now 17 the lure of comfy clothes never leaves.

Melissa Crowe said...

Oh, the shoes, the shoes... I love them painfully.

lacer said...

The shoes and particularly the tights are gorgeous. My kids are around the same age as yours and I to am beginning to desperately look round to find me again and T-shirt and jeans just doesn't seem right any more (it may be an age thing with me to - I'm 35, although still feeling quite young - it helps living in an area where all the mums started having kids when they were much older than I was when I started). I've recently taken on a very run down allotment though, so I have going down the allotment clothes days when it is still jeans and t-shirts but days when I'm not, that's when the skirts come out!
PS My order from you successfully winged its way across the pond today, the book looks fantastic and thank you so much for the gorgeous scraps of fabric to start me off. I'd also ordered the woman knitting the scarf for the milkman fabric and that's gorgeous to, it will take me ages to decide 'the' perfect project that will justify me taking my scissors to it!

mummysam said...

oh this was a fun post! thank you so much for all your comments...it's good to know their are some other reluctant dressers out there :)
(p.s...those tights were immediately taken off with a sigh of relief by 4pm....I could only last so long....)

Carli said...

I can't wait for the day I can get out of my food-stained t shirts. I was almost there and then we went and had another.

I am working my way slowly though - beginning with the heeled boot instead of converse sneaks!!

Christine E-E said...

oh - i have those shoes in black - wanted a nice color, but didn't think i could pull it off at the office.
speaking of comfy - i'm a tad over 60 & I can hardly wait to get home from work, peel off the office stuff & get comfy. unfortunately, at my age, i have yet to figure out my style - but comfy i do know. biggest challenge - finding jeans that don't cost "an arm & a leg" that aren't so low-cut that i might show more than i want or should...
love your blog....

Anonymous said...

oh I hear you! its hard to find things that aren't teenage but arn't middle aged! Once you resurface after kids the shops you used to shop at don't seem to resonate anymore but where to? - its so easy to revert to jeans and manky stained t-shirt with porridge ob shoulder! or here in Australia we love our tracksuit pants and ugg boots.

Where did you get those shoes - they are delicious - I'd really like some

Cheers,
Amanda

Amanda Thomas said...

der - pressed the wrong button! yep my name is not anonymous but I may put it on my list for the next little one!