Monday, October 25, 2010

"mum...it was a real hug...I got a real hug!! "


(my youngest son with his dad..)

:: upon going to bed, my eldest son ran upstairs breathless and happy. "mum! mum! I got to hug dad! And it was a real hug (demonstration quickly followed...). He gave me eight of them!!!!"

:: he was so happy, and by the look on his eyes, you could really tell just how much he needed it.
It has been two weeks since their dad's cycling accident, one that I had been told should have been fatal. And along with this type of accident comes not only the physical pain from recovery, but also an emotional one of how to handle it all. Being told "not to get too close dad", "watch where your leg is kicking!", "be careful how you walk past dad", "daddy can't play right now" on a regular basis to two young boys can be quite challenging emotionally on both the kids and parents.

:: I'll be honest. It has been tough. My eldest son's symptoms have skyrocketed these past two weeks, as the overall change in the flow of the house has made him quite uncomfortable. I don't always remember to step back and look at what is really going on, and will often react to his outbursts with my own sense of frustration. I have to remind myself that we are all in some way affected by this accident, and my eldest son just has a tougher time expressing it.

:: When he finished giving me the exact play-by-play of their hug, I could see just how much this has affected him.....more so than I had realized. He needed that hug. Dad needed to give that hug. I needed to see those huge eyes light up when told about that hug.

:: We are thankful....ever so thankful that the accident ended the way it did. Yes, there will be quite some time of rehabilitation ahead of us, but that is nothing compared to what it could have been. No brain injuries, no internal damage......he will be o.k.....he just has to get ready for the massive onslaught of hugs!

17 comments:

blissful chick said...

wonderful news :)

Jennifer said...

It is a wonderful thing that both your son and husband can find healing in this time.

tangled sky studio said...

i'm sure it's hard to take baby steps as an adult but you are strong and brave and we are here. i send YOU a big hug and wishes for a few more baby steps and smiles this week....

beth

blue china studio said...

oh gosh...that made me a bit teary eyed. It is so easy to not always see the whole picture, we get caught up in our own feelings and frustrations. I think that is part of being human. I'm glad the mending it on its way and hugs can be now be administered. A very nice post.

Amber said...

It must be so trying what you are going through. Hugs to YOU through this. Thinking of you guys.

momto2wasd said...

I'm so glad your son got his hugs. I hope you'll be getting some hugs, too. You could probably use a few hugs!

sarah barnett said...

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. I find your wisdom and honesty so inspiring. Prayers for you and yours as you undergo this "eggshell" time.

Melissa Crowe said...

Hooray for real hugs! I wish I could give YOU one!

Kelly Irene said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I am so glad for the little steps of recovery for your hubby and am praying for all of you as you continue this part of the journey. You have many HUGS coming from your readers!

kelli said...

It is amazing what a hug can do.
Wishing you lots of hugs this week and for the weeks to come

abbyglassenberg said...

Sam, I wish you and your family rapid healing and much love!
-Abby

mummysam said...

you are all so absolutely amazing...thank you so so much :)

Cheryl G. said...

Very touching.
So sweet that it meant so much to him.
My son was in a bike accident in July and I was happy for every bit of good news and every bit of progress. It was a difficult time.
He is back to school and doing well.
My heart goes out to you!

meplusmolly said...

Hugs are healing for all x

Patrice A. said...

Now that is good news!
;)

thea said...

awww babe, I am so glad the healing is happening. I can imagine it has been a long couple weeks...xo

Cary Walker said...

Oh, Sam. How scary. I'm so glad you have all of your family safe with you. Hope things get much better soon. xoxo