Friday, September 10, 2010

it's Tuesday on a Friday....



...first of all, please excuse the quality of my photos, as the night had gotten away from me but the need to share this overrode any need to present the perfect image....

...O.k. With that out of the way, let's talk a little bit about my little "struggle" this morning.
As many of you know, I am documenting the good (and not so good) bits of raising a son with
Asperger's, and with that comes this next piece in my series of sewn journal entries. As I am sure many a mother can relate, this morning was met with a lot of frustration on my end as the battle of finding that perfect sock seemed to last excruciatingly long. We must have gone through an entire bucket of socks before finally settling on two mis-matched ones that received the thumbs up approval. Where one sock failed in it's excessive fluffiness on the inside, another was similarly disqualified due to a seem that sat uncomfortably along the front edge of the toes. Some pairs weren't equal in height when pulled up with the same force, and others felt too tight or too "mushy"....


...After what seemed like an eternity, my patience started to wear quite thin. My frustration was showing, and he could see it. He became agitated, and so did I. Tears started to ensue, followed by my little guy feeling bad about "being that way".

...I felt bad. Not because I couldn't understand him, but rather because I could. I am him.
I lived through this myself, and continue to do so today. I can remember many a morning growing up and screaming because my sleeve was wrinkled under my sweater and my poor mum would spend an eternity trying to pull it "just so" in order to calm me down. I cannot wear socks with a seam across the front either. Anything with the slightest amount of wool is bothersome, and fluffy socks on the inside are definitely out of the question.

..I took a deep breath and stepped back. Of course those socks won't work because I know how awful it feels to be so uncomfortable. We talked for a bit until everyone was calm again and started all over again. We found the right socks, one red and one blue. One fresh from the laundry and one not so "fresh". But they felt right, and that's what's important....

..Sometimes you need to just step back and breathe....(but make sure you are wearing comfortable socks when you do so....)

16 comments:

Patrice A. said...

Beautiful post.
Thanks.
Your words help.
And yes, stepping back is the best.

P.S. I loved your 'Monday' so much that I printed it. So I can see it every day. Also because I don't think you will sell it. I hope you do not mind....

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

You did it well,indeed sometimes you have to do a step back and tell him what you feel,be honest.I work with a colleague who has a son with the same.If she loses her patience,she has her conversations with him and she explains always what or why it happened.So that he retains confidence.
In between you're making a beautiful visual diary!

plg said...

This is fabulous.

abbyglassenberg said...

I laughed so much when I saw this! And then, reading your post...that is our life every morning. Roxanne cries more about her sock than about almost anything else. "There is a bump! Help!" That pesky toe seam, oh my.
And ALL of her clothes are too itchy. She said it well yesterday, "I want clothes that are as close to pajamas as possible." This piece sums her up perfectly!

Jenny Stevning said...

Beautiful 'n honest post.

scissor variations said...

this is wonderful + knowing the personal story behind the pieces is quite humbling.

{{...this would be a lovely print}}

lacer said...

Brilliant.

tangled sky studio said...

i would immediately go out and buy a dozen pairs of comfy socks!
how smart of you to take a step back, remember what it was like for you and start over...that's hard to do in a situation. you're a really great mum.

Mique Moriuchi said...

Beautiful :)

mummysam said...

thanks again everyone...these pieces really seem to be striking a chord with many of you, and again thank you.
I think regardless of our family situation, we can all somehow relate?
It's good to know i'm not the only one with sock "issues"!
...and Patrice...I don't mind at all!

Rebekah Leigh said...

This is such a beautiful post, I love your embroidered 'diary'. I work with children with autism and so can relate to those stepping back moments..And the relief when all is okay again! I've dipped in and out of your blog for your fabulous illustrations and patterns.I will be visiting more. Have a good weekend :-)

jeanine said...

I can't help but to be reminded of my sculpture professor telling his class about always being very sensitive to the textures and feels of things, even the feel of gravel under his shoes. He says this is how you know you have a sculptor in you. Maybe it will work to his advantage one day!

mummysam said...

jeanine....how true that is!

rebekah...thanks for your lovely words. I really believe this has been such a good way for many of us to connect with each other...

Shin said...

Yes, everybody needs to take a step back once in a while. It would make the world so much better. Big hugs for you and your family

schinders said...

these journal posts are so beautiful, honest, and sweet. i'm so pleased you found the courage to make and share them with us, not only for you, but because we, too, are the richer for them.

Lady Anne said...

Lots of baby girl clothes are really great to have.