Thursday, September 30, 2010

about time, huh?



...today was one of those days where I just needed to do something for myself. As a one woman show, it's amazing how little of your time is actually spent creating. Many a day is spent with e-mails, paperwork, packaging, posting, and all the other bits and pieces that inevitably leads to a week where I haven't created a darn thing. In order to keep some sanity around me, I have come to realize how important it is to just clear the desk and be completely selfish.


...after one last look at my e-mails, (really not a good idea that I have the computer so accessible...I am one of those easily distracted souls that will "just check my e-mails quickly" every few minutes while I am working...have to stop that!) I turned off the computer and began to work.


...I didn't spend the day rushing to meet certain deadlines and bolting to the post office before the school bus arrived, but rather put on my comfy jammie pants, had a cookie, and started to play. These solo play dates are so needed, and I often have to remind myself that they are also a necessity to keep my other work fresh and creative.

...alright. Obviously I have the computer back on, but I swear I won't check it every couple of seconds! Besides, I have to run off to the kitchen for another cookie.......

9 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

Okay, but if I don't keep checking the computer, how can I be inspired by the likes of you?! ;-) I love how you're incorporating objects into the fiber work. Won. Der. Ful.

tangled sky studio said...

oh i know just what you mean...my computer is way to my studio as well. it took me a moment to realize you had actually stitched the "paper"....seriously brilliant!

Patrice A. said...

Lovely work again.
Can't hardly wait to see the other 4 to come...

mummysam said...

Mel.Is.Sa. thank you :) let's just hope my son doesn't go looking for that bottle cap!

Beth...thank you my dear, and will I see you in a couple of weeks?

Patrice, thanks so much! Is there a way to translate your blog? it looks so lovely, and I just wish I knew what you were saying! (from someone not very good with computers...)

blue china studio said...

Love this piece. And good for you to be so wise to take a day and just sit and create...and eat cookies!

Patrice A. said...

For a while now I am thinking of translating partly what I write. Your question made me think about it again. I will see....
But thanks for your kind words!

Leila said...

That's lovely! I have all sorts of little bits that I can't bear to get rid of and this is certainly inspiration for how to use them productively! Have fun away from the computer for a bit. And enjoy the cookie. We'll miss you but we understand.

LUPINUS SALON said...

so cool, i love your style so much,
Antje

Amy Nieto said...

These are absolutely magical! love love love!!
(found you via The Jealous Curator blog)