Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I wasn't going to share this.....



...I wasn't going to share this, but after thinking about some of my comments as of late, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do....

...I am often asked how I am able to "balance" life and work so well, and as much as an attempt is made to make it work, there are always going to be those days that leave you wondering if you have indeed achieved such a balance.

...with an almost 5 year old and newly turned seven year old in the house, we have entered a new stage of challenges....especially when the personalities are polar opposites. I finally did something I never thought I would do, and oh how I needed it.

...Yes. I took the last Drumstick (a purchase last week due to a sudden desire to relive my own summers as a kid) and locked myself in the bathroom. At my wits end, I listened to the "din" of two boys struggling to get along, and sat there savouring every bite. I no longer heard the whining. I no longer heard the requests for mummy's presence to hear about what "happened". I no longer heard any of it. All I could hear was the sound of the paper slowly getting peeled away as I reached further down the cone. It may have only been five minutes, but it was the longest stretch of peace I had since waking up, and it felt like an eternity.

...so there you have it. I definitely have my own moments of frustration and struggle, and in this particular case the Drumstick did the trick. Let's just hope they don't ask me where that last one went.......

12 comments:

Jill said...

Thank you. :)

blue china studio said...

Aahhh...the power of the Drumstick. I totally understand.

And love that photo, it speaks a million words.

carmel said...

great post!
i love the idea!
i defenatly should try that out sometime- i never have any peace with 3 little kids

mummysam said...

thanks everyone...always good to know there are others out there needing a treat every so often :)

Amber said...

Oh I totally would do that, no question. I eat ice cream after everyone is asleep. Often.

erin said...

oh... i adore you and this.

Cara Carmina said...

oh... love this post!!!! (what is most important that our inner peace...no matter how we get it!) :)

mummysam said...

Amber...it's chocolate for me at night
Erin...would love to see how you would photograph a moment like that :)
hopefully you won't have too many of those down the road!
Cara... :) and inner peace meant ice cream...what will it be next?

Nancy Sue said...

Awesome post! I can't stop giggling :)

extongardener said...

My motto always is,"Take the line of least resistance..."

extongardener said...

Well done!

My motto always is,"Take the line of least resistance..."

michelle said...

Good for you! I remember someone saying you know you are a mom when a trip to the bathroom counts as a vacation!