Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I won't have any hair left if this keeps up....


rough (did I mention rough?) work in progress....this is a quick sketch with many a mismatched line!

...so, where have I been all week you ask?

...if your guess is spending countless hours trying to figure out pattern repeats, you are spot on.
It started out simple enough, with an idea that I thought would be perfect for this particular design. The only factor standing in my way was how to even go about tackling something like this. I am afraid my photoshop skills are quite poor, which probably makes this idea take much longer than it should. (hence the lack of posting here in the last few days...I am so frustrated and determined at the same time!)

..I saw a wonderful tutorial on design sponge with the ever so amazing Julia Rothman, and decided to dive right in. Her instructions really opened up my eyes on how one can address this without the computer, yet I still found myself struggling to get my images to line up correctly.

...I am pulling out my hair left and right, but have dove in too far to stop. I know I may be approaching this pattern in the most convoluted way possible, but I hope it will all work out in the end.

...so please, bear with me as I try to preserve what remaining strands of hair I have left....
and if any of you out there have some insight into this process, I am all ears.

10 comments:

claire platt said...

I don't have any good insight unfortunatly - I read this recently which describes repeat patterns - http://hermionerose-attentiontodetail.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-springsummer-designs-2010.html

I love the actual drawing your using! so cute!

blue china studio said...

I really love this pattern! So far so good. I'm no help though, wish I could give you some great insight or professional wisdom.

But it does look good!

tangled sky studio said...

i just checked out the "old fashioned" tutorial and it looks so easy (which always means it's not....). best of luck sam... i'm pulling my hair out here as well so know you're not in the boat alone!

Jenny Stevning said...

I have no wisdom nor insights but I must say that I LOVE the pattern!

mummysam said...

thanks everyone!
and claire...thank you for the link. She seems to take the same approach as Julia Rothman does, and I think it must come down to me being able to cut the paper with more accuracy! Another full day spent, but hopefully with some good results soon :)
..just one of those "this looks simple" ideas that clearly had more in store.....
and beth...what will we look like should we meet in the fall if we keep this up?

vivienne strauss said...

I feel for you but I'm pretty hopeless with things like that, the best I can offer is a couple of wigs, one is a bleach blonde Marilyn wig and the other is super long red hair with bangs :D

Cara Carmina said...

Oh my!!! it looks good Sam! I have no idea about this but I´m sure after all the effor (and hair) you´ve put into it, the result will be worth it! keep up girl!!! and pleaaaaase STOP PULLING YOUR HAIR!!! bite your nails or something that doesn´t show up as much ;)

good luck!

mummysam said...

Vivienne...oh to be a red head....this may be a good thing after all!

and Cara...yes my dear. I shall listen to your words. Being that my hair is thin enough to use those tine elastic bands wrapped around thrice, I should probably be cherishing every strand I have...

patricia cotterill said...

I would love to make a summer skirt with this fabric, I love it

Nessa said...

LOVE your knitting related sketches!
The sea monster one is fantastic!