Monday, March 15, 2010

not to worry.....this time....






...oh how thankful this little piece must be, as it has managed to escape my recent habit of hurling frustrated pieces across the room (well, more like slamming them down on the mattress before succumbing to the sheets to wallow for a bit.....)

...it has been a frustrating time as of late, and one I recognize all to well. I have become accustomed to the tell-tale signs since my days as a painter: sudden bouts of self-doubt, feeling completely empty of ideas, trying new things each time to no avail, and yes....hurling pieces across the room.

..I know I have to go through this if I want to grow, and will frequently remind myself that this is a good thing. Hard, but oh so necessary. Yes, pieces are going to fail.... and isn't it funny how they often do so in a continuous stream? (enough to drive you absolutely bonkers...)
And just when you have successfully destroyed five pieces through extreme frustration with every intention of giving it all up for good, a piece comes along that reminds you why you will never actually follow through with it. You can't. As much as you want to sometimes, you just can't stop. Deep down inside you know that a piece will eventually come along that feels ever so good. So good in fact, that you throw yourself into a massive period of creativity. Ideas keep flowing, and you can't keep up. Pieces come together beautifully with such ease, and wonderful state of euphoria emerges.

...until you wake up the next day and hurl a piece across the living room and collapse in despair.

...must be time to grow again.

14 comments:

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Oh yes, growing is painful. I've said many times in the last few years that I wish I could stop learning and growing and just be able to make/do something without such enormous effort. But I agree, I just can't stop :)

abbyglassenberg said...

They always seem to fail in a connected stream! I think, "Have I lost the touch? What is going on?" But when I come though it the finished product is something totally new that I love. My husband rolls his eyes when I'm in the throws of it, though. He's seen it too many times.

ADKmom said...

You should watch the movie cartoon "Meet the Robinsons" with the boys. Hooray for failures!

splurge said...

Ah sweetie, your work is brilliant even if it is not exactly what you mean it to be when starting to create. Your moment of personal satisfaction is right around the corner....

sammi said...

isn't it so comforting knowing we all go through this? I do feel I will get there soon.....patience has to hang in there just a bit longer!

tangled sky studio said...

i couldn't have said it better myself sista....i'm off to push through the indecision that's causing sleepless nights and get a few things finished (i hope they don't fall victim to the heat gun....). this piece is brilliant by the way....

Di said...

Developing and changing, all part of life as you so rightly point out. But frustrating when it's happening. But I do love your work and this piece is very clever!

rachel awes said...

found you through tangled sky blog & so happy!..i'm now a follower!! i love this piece & also the one about red boots...actually, CRAZY about them!!! best & brightest joy & peace & inspiring boots dancing your way!

Catherine said...

Love this piece!
I think we all get those times of frustration. Things may not turn out how we want them to, but to someone who doesn't see the 'perfect' version of something you had in your mind's eye, the end result can still be perfect.

sammi said...

thanks again!
and rachel...so happy to meet you!
today is a new day as I embark on some custom tape design (maybe I just needed a change in medium for a bit?)

Cara Carmina said...

I understand you sooo well... and it is very frustrating indeed... but makes your work better each time... :)

Elaine Shandra said...

well put!

vivienne strauss said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one prone to "artistic fits", this piece is incredible, worth the struggle for sure.

Lyn Newhouse said...

It's great!!