Thursday, February 25, 2010

it was so so good....(so i've heard...)



...oh how I envy those who were able to make it for my opening at Renegade Handmade this past Friday! From the pictures they sent, everything looked so well displayed and perfect....


.....Being asked to do the fourth show in their "Spotlight Series" was such an honour, and admittedly made me quite nervous. (who wouldn't be after following the likes of Mike Perry, Jill Bliss, and some extraordinary embroidery artists?)

(toy soldier piece: encaustic on linen...one of my faves....)

....the night of the opening found me in New York with my family doing business as usual, and every moment in my head was spend wondering (nervously so....) how the event was going. This is the first time since my painter days that I have done a show like this, and furthermore the first time ever that I was not present at the opening. It felt a bit strange, as I was not able to be a part of the reactions that so often make all your hard work and preparation well worth the effort. As people were sipping champagne and munching on delicious goodies, I was reading stories to two over-tired children in bed.




....thank goodness my mum was there to fill me in, and take part in what was a big night for me.(doesn't she look just so stylish?) She, along with the amazing ladies at Renegade, were able to give me the feedback that made it oh so worth while. They did such a brilliant job, and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

The show runs for three more weeks, and if you haven't already done so, please stop by their shop to take a closer peek! (you can also view more shots of opening night on their flickr account)

9 comments:

Cara Carmina said...

Loooove the photos, and your mom does look very stylish and Happy!!! Oh what a great thing! congrats!!! your works are wonderful and you deserve it!!!

:) hug and cup of tea!

n

tangled sky studio said...

WHOOHOO Sam!!!!
i too am a fan of the soldiers...and yes your mum looks fabulous! cheers to all your hard work and creativity.

beth

Melissa Crowe said...

Hooray! You're so amazing!

And hey--I talked "book" with Abby G. today on the phone and would love to do the same with you sometime. (I fantasize the three of us getting together for tea...)

Elma said...

I am so glad your mum was there for you!! She is a beautiful mum to:) Love your art and you so derserve everything!! Oh and the soldiers are one of my favorite!!

Cary Walker said...

yay!!! i looked through all the flickr pics already. it all looks so beautiful! how exciting. your mum is a doll too:)

meplusmolly said...

Blooming WONDEFUL! so glad it went well ;0 x

Amber Dusick said...

Congrats! This what you wrote:

"As people were sipping champagne and munching on delicious goodies, I was reading stories to two over-tired children in bed."

That pretty much sums up so much of what I've been thinking about lately. On being a mother and an artist I mean. Both the joys and also the sacrifices. Being pulled in two directions. You seem to have it all figured out (the balance) and I'm hoping I'll get there too. Eventually.

I'm rambling. Congrats!

azules said...

Congratulations your work is very very beautiful!!!!

e.m. said...

Yay, Sam! The Renegade show looks amazing. I'm in love with the bird bringing home the birdcage and house home to the mrs. on their site. Lovely as always. Congratulations! Emily