Friday, February 5, 2010

cookies should do it...



...my little guy has been quite down lately, as his feelings of lack of friendships at school are something to do with who he is. The poor guy has been coming home in tears, and two days ago had some heart tugging things to say:
A: "mum, what is wrong with me? Whenever I ask someone to be my friend, they say 'no way' and tell me to move to another seat. Mum, could you tell me what I am doing wrong? I used to have more friends, but now only have one. Why don't kids like me? I don't yell or anything..."

Oh how hard that was to hear, especially when the person speaking those words has a beautiful bottom lip sticking out and a lonely little tear trickling down his cheek. I wanted to fix it right away, and make it better....but telling your six year old that," one good friend who really cares about you is much better than a bunch who might easily turn their cheeks the other way" doesn't really make them feel much better. Instead we just sat together, and I allowed him to let it all out.....and then it was off to bake some cookies.

warm cookies....

cookies that fill your soul and dry your little cheeks.....

cookies that allow you to savour every bite with a glass of perfectly cold milk, while your sad thoughts start to drift away....

cookies that bring a family together as you sit together covering your lips in melted chocolate...(which by the way, also instigates many giggling trips to the bathroom mirror to see just how "chocolaty" you can get your lips....the little guy manages to win that one with ease...)

cookies that will be there tomorrow just in case.....

...just in case there is a little tear and bottom lip sticking out.

11 comments:

A Beautiful Party said...

oh how sad. it's sos hard being a kid, I remember those same lonely days. Sounds like you're being a great mom. Both of you hang in there. It will get better.

sammi said...

I know it's all just beginning....it's just so hard having your little guy go through this! you want to take it all away......
(it will be interesting to see how I look back at this in a few years time!)

tangled sky studio said...

ok, now you've gone and made me tear up as well! i'm still figuring this one out but am absolutely certain that cookies are magic....

Anonymous said...

OH that is so sad. Iam sure you wanted to cry. Kids are so mean to each other.
When I was little and just moved to the states the kids bugged me about my name. My name is Elma and they called me elmer j fud. I know it will get better, just give lots of hugs and love.Elma

Confounded Concoctions said...

I stumbled on your blog and now this sad note.

What a wonderful mother you are. That is the bridge! You are the bridge until he finds his way.

Keep protecting him and if I was you I would do some investigating with his teacher. (unsolicited advice I know!) My now adult daughter was being so badly bullied at a new school that we finally just moved her!

God bless you and your cookies!

Annette-Confounded Concoctions

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

Oh, I teared up just reading this! How hard this must have been for both of you! I'm so sorry he's having such a rough time. Kids can be so cruel, but luckily they seem to be able to turn around just as fast. I hope the cookies helped.

Jill said...

What a sweet and sad post. My son is 6 too and it is so hard to not be able to fix everything for him anymore.

As a former teacher I would recommend a quick call or email to your son's teacher. He or she is an expert on 6 year olds and might be able to offer some insight or advice.

I hope the cookies and a weekend full of hugs make the bad week disappear.

Olive Mac said...

That brought a wee tear to my eye - I also have a six year old son. Your son is so lucky to have a mum like you and some lovely yummy cookies to hand! x

Cara Carmina said...

Oh my!!! poor little thing... he is so lucky to have so much love around from you and I´m sure he´ll have many good friends... and for sure many cookies to wash up his tears every time he is sad again...

Hope he is feeling better...

blue hug...

sammi said...

oh how lovely to hear all of your sweet comments.
...and even better, so great to meet all of you who are new to my blog. It's always nice to get to know my readers a bit more.
I am sure I am in for many a night of tears...parenting can be such a heart tugger!

(so far the cookies have apparently helped quite a bit :) )

patricia said...

i just found your blog via via and i'm very happy about it.
i also have a son, he is 5, and not so long ago we had the same kind of conversation...
the kids need to discover the world and that is not always easy.
to experience true love is what we can do to them.
Those episodes they will forget but felling loved is unforgetable, right? :)
cheers
Patricia