Tuesday, December 8, 2009

this is when you just throw it all out the window...



I am a health nut, and a very "geeky" one at that. I have always been this way, and found it has heightened even more so since kids have come into the picture. Honey, applesauce, whole wheat flour and wheat germ often dominate many a baking recipe in this house. So far it has been working really well with the boys, but I know that soon things will start to change as they get older. ( It's amazing what happens when your little one enters first grade. "But so and so gets to eat them every day at lunch" and "why does he get to have that at snack all of the time?" has become a far too frequent question in this house.) I do, however, realize that I need to relax a bit. We don't need anyone getting shoved in a locker for his barley/carob rendition of a granola bar........that's just not fair to the poor kid.



And apparently when I say "relax a bit", I mean just let it all go. When it comes to holiday baking, I go all out. They are just too delicious to be tinkered with, and need the respect to be left alone as they were meant to be. Every bite is savoured, every spoon of leftover batter licked off. (usually by two boys who are smart enough to realize that this is there chance to have at it....)
I bake more cookies in this one month window than I do over the whole year. It is one of my favourite things to do during the holidays, and the smells that fill the house makes the atmosphere just that much more festive.

The only problem was that I started off our baking spree with these yummy little chocolate meringues. Try telling your sugar deprived kids that they just have to wait two hours for the cookies to bake until they can have at it. That's probably why they just decided to go for the batter instead.

do you have any cookie favourites for the holidays?

4 comments:

Melissa Crowe said...

Vegan snickerdoodles (recipe from Vegan Yum Yum). These are loved by all the carnivores in my extended family because of their chewy, cinnamony goodness. And this sometimes-health-nut makes them with WHITE FLOUR at Christmas time. ;-)

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

These look delicious! I'm obsessed with trying to make macaroons this year, and maybe your meringues, too.

My favorite cookies have to be my moms fry-pan date cookies. They're old-lady sweet and have a slightly salty cornflake outer shell. Yum!

I'm on my way to the grocery store right now for salted caramel fixings :) I'm all over the place here, can you tell I like holiday baking too?!

sammi said...

those sound good!!! (hint hint....anyone care to share their recipe? hmmmm?)

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeah, so where is that big neighborly plate of cookies for your dear friend, Kyra? Hmmmmm?