Friday, November 20, 2009

slow down a bit there girl......


Oh how much I am trying to take things more slowly.......



...and thanks to an offer to prepare for an upcoming solo exhibition (mum's the word until I get the green light!), I have taken this opportunity to try to slow things down a bit. I can sometimes get caught up in the "sales" of creating art, and have been feeling ever so rushed lately. I have barely a moment to just take the time to really sit down and think, and am starting to feel it necessary for my own growth to try to stray away from this production way of thinking and focus more on allowing a piece to have the time it really needs to develop properly.
My days usually consist of trying to get as much work done as possible during my wee one's pre-school hours, and unfortunately " successful" days are determined by how many pieces get produced. I need to be reminded that it's o.k. to slow things down....(even amidst the hectic holiday madness!)

it's o.k. to let a piece sit....
it's o.k. to just sit back and observe....
it's o.k. to just think....
it's o.k. if the piece doesn't find it's way in one session.....
it's o.k. if you need to put the art away for a while and wait until it asks for you to come back....
it's what you need to do if you want to grow....
it's what I have to do....
it's what I am doing right now, and oh how good it feels.....

7 comments:

Victoria van der Laan said...

I'm right there with you. And this week I really need those reminders--thank you!

Melissa Crowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Crowe said...

A wonderful list--very good advice for me.

kristin said...

wow. this piece is brillant.

as for slowing down...it takes such discipline, doesn't it? sounds like you're on the right track of "letting go" a little. hope you are able to take your own advice to heart.

sammi said...

thanks!
Victoria.....I have always wanted to ask you how on earth you get so much work done! Your books are really lovely :)
Melissa....thank you so much, and I just love your new space.

kristin...what a lovely compliment. It can be so hard to really just slow yourself down and let go...something I never realized would be so hard to do.

patricia cotterill said...

Hi Sam. You are doing just great

cathy gaubert said...

it's slowing down just about the hardest thing to do? would you be a dear and tell me the secret when you find out?? ;)
i adore all of the loveliness in your shop, but if slowing down means that you do a teeny bit less of that and a bitty bit more of this, i think that it will be a good thing all around. this piece makes me want to curl up in a comfy chair, in a quiet room, and pour over all of the details while your book + art tell me stories.
ahh, hopefully i will have inspired dreams tonight!