Monday, February 2, 2009

Oh, Canada....



the setting: the ice rink
the cast: hockey players (dad included), two little Canadians, and one mum.
props: hockey sticks, a puck, two bags of popcorn, two smoothies, and a camera

Every once in a while there comes a time where I find myself yearning for the days we had in Canada before our move to New York. Stepping inside the arena with the boys to watch dad play his Sunday night game stirred up more emotion than I could have thought possible. It was the first time I have stepped foot in one since our move, and as I walked past the Canadian Flag and up to the bleachers I couldn't help but get all welled up. I was instantly taken back to the cold winters where big A and I would take our daily walk down to the neighborhood ice rink just to watch Mr. Zamboni do his rounds on the ice. After putting our loonie into the machine to get our hot cocoa, we would just sit for a good hour watching him drive round and round and round.....hearing the sounds of slapping sticks in the outside rink from the neighborhood kids created such a wonderful atmosphere that I have yet to find something equally as magical. It was wonderful, and seeing the joy in little M and big A's faces as daddy did his own loops round and round the rink reminded me how that used to feel. As I drove home listening to their pure joy after receiving the "actual" puck from daddy's game, I realized that I could have some of that feeling back again....it's called Sunday night.

5 comments:

kiddlebug said...

That will be next weekend for me. My kids woke me up two mornings in a row last week singing Oh Canada at 6 am.

jen said...

awwww. loved this post :) i met dh in an ice arena, and still love to watch him play!!

tangled sky studio said...

my dad is a hockey fanatic and i grew up with hockey night in canada and popcorn during the games...

sammi said...

I have to admit I never really watched hockey night in Canada, but I just so loved the sound of it in the background....it was a cozy sound that made me want to curl up under a blanket.

tangled sky studio said...

...and eat popcorn ( even now).
great photos and thank you for introducing me to picnik. it's quite addictive and did you see the note on this lens: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=152&modelid=14259
LOVE IT!