Thursday, January 15, 2009

So it is true what they say....




This past weekend the boys and I decided to do a bit of "fixing up" with their bedroom. As the five year old continues to remind me of his old age, we set about making the room more age appropriate for the oh so "grown-up" 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 year olds (the "1/2" being very important to include when you are half way to six) Upon completing a quick little mobile project with salt dough, paint, and a coat hanger, we went to work at replacing some old art work with the new. Filling a box with the "baby" stuff, I found myself taking a quick pause at where we have come. During times of frustration ,which I am sure many mums can relate to when raising kids, many a gentle voice of wisdom would rest me assured that it gets easier...."when your youngest is three" became a quote I would often tell myself when I found things to be a bit tricky....the juggle with two kids two years apart can present many challenges from the time the second one is born, with each stage having their own unique set of challenges.
As I left the room to take the box of old toys and clothes downstairs, I realized I had exited a room of peace.....they were playing together, having come up with their own set of rules that both boys seemed to completely understand. Ten minutes of lovely play quickly became twenty, then thirty, and before I knew it one hour had passed and I was still sitting on the couch downstairs sneaking in a cup of tea ( I had no intention of interrupting a good thing). Do they still quabble here and there? oh yes. Are there days where they just can't seem to click? yep. They are, afterall, two brothers with very opposite personalities. The difference now is that they can see the benefit of working through their frustrations in a way that would allow them to play. No longer does big A have to constantly worry about his little brother running into the room to destroy a scene he had so carefully set up in the middle of the room. No longer is the frustration there from big A when he tries so hard to explain to little M how to play a certain game and little M just can't quite follow.
After an unusually long time of quiet, I went upstairs to check in on them. I entered the room that they so proudly called their own "big boys" room and was immediately told, "leave mum, I am busy playing with my brother". Turning back around, I left their little world and went downstairs to make another cup of tea with the sounds of utter happiness in the background.

4 comments:

Tiny House said...

So sweet! I struggle with my own 28 month-old's growing up everyday...sometimes I can't wait for him to stop being so, well, two, and others I can sit for forever smelling his little baby smell. I can't wait to have another! :O) Beautiful pictures, btw.

leah said...

thank you for this post. it's good to hear. just yesterday i had loud complaining coming from both children. one wanted in on the action and the other one wanted "alone time." as the mom (and an only child), i don't always know how much to intervene and how much to let them work it out. i know the day will come when i too will enjoy two cups of tea!

kiddlebug said...

Mine are just under two years apart and they play together forever as well. It is an odd feeling at first, but it is nice to sit back and enjoy listening to them play.

tangled sky studio said...

Yay! more tea,sewing,painting,cooking,making time....